San Juan, Puerto Rico has the unique distinction of being both a port of departure and a port of return for non-closed loop cruises. This means that many of the cruises that sail to or from San Juan are one-way sailings.
A closed loop cruise begins and ends at the port of departure.
Located in Puerto Rico – a territory of the United States – visitors will notice Spanish and Art Deco themes in the art and architecture. Though beautiful, expect warm temperatures in the mid-to-high 80s (F) year round.
As a territory of the United States, Puerto Rico uses the U.S. dollar as its official currency, but don’t be surprised to hear the it called a peso instead of a dollar. ATMs are available on land, and credit cards are accepted by most businesses.
Rum lovers can enjoy a tour to the Barcardi Distillery. Guests can visit restored 16th- and 17th-century buildings which line the blue adoquine stone-paved streets. Or explore the labyrinthine ramparts and tunnels of the great El Morro citadel and the Castillo de San Cristóbal.
Top Port Adventures
Bacardi Rum Distillery Tour: Disney offers family friendly (for ages 3 and up) as well as Adults Only departures for this Port Adventure.
From Disney Cruise Line: Drive to the Bacardi Distillery for a guided tour of the factory’s distillation process before tasting rum.
On this adventure you will…
- Board your air-conditioned motorcoach for the approximate 30-minute drive to the Bacardi rum distillery.
- Take an approximate 60-minute guided tour through the Bacardi Rum Distillery and facilities. Learn the history of the company, the family foundations and the production process. Tour the Visitor’s Center, where you can explore Cybernetic Hall and see different types of fermenting procedures that turn sugarcane into molasses and finally into rum.
- After your tour, enjoy free time for rum testing in the Visitor’s Center (Guests 21 years of age or older) and shopping in the museum.
- Depart the Bacardi rum distillery and take the return drive back to the pier or choose to stop in Old San Juan to shop and sightsee at your leisure then make your own way back to the pier.
This Port Adventure is wheelchair accessible. However, please note that the wheelchair must be collapsible – electric wheelchairs are not permitted – and the Guest must be able to navigate up the motor coach steps on foot – no lifts are available on the bus.
For a complete list of Port Adventures visit – Disney Cruise Line: Puerto Rico
Port of Departure Information
If your cruise departs from San Juan, take note of the following information from the Disney Cruise Line site. Always review the port arrival information provided by Disney for your specific cruise and note any changes from the information below.
Port of San Juan
Pan American Pier Terminal
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901
Driving Directions: From the San Juan Luis Munoz Marin International Airport:
- From the airport, head northwest
- Continue straight onto Puente Teodoro Moscoso
- Take the ramp onto Expreso Román Baldorioty de Castro
- Take the exit onto PR-1
- Take a slight left onto Avenida Fernández Juncos
- Turn left to merge onto Avenida Fernández Juncos
- Continue onto Ave Fernandez Juncos
- Exit onto PR-16
- Turn right onto Calle Billian
- Follow signs to cruise port
There are no parking facilities at the Port of San Juan. Public parking facilities are located in the area surrounding the port and are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Luggage Handling and Transfers
Disney Cruise Line representatives will be at the terminal to meet, greet and check in Guests from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Porters will be on hand to assist with luggage. These services are exclusively available to Guests with hotel accommodations, flights or transfers booked through Disney Cruise Line.
Note: all Guests must be on board the ship by 5:00 PM.